In our previous few blogs, we’ve covered some of the most toxic foods to dogs. Some will just irritate your pup’s stomach, but others can leave them with kidney diseases, digestive disorders, and possibly even death. Today, we are covering more of the top foods you should never feed to your dog in order to keep them safe. Should your dog accidentally consume one of the items on this list, please bring them to see us at West Ballantyne Animal Hospital today. We can provide top notch dog care to hopefully get your dog back on their feet and ready to play once again.

Persimmons, Peaches, and Plums

These fruits are mostly a problem because of the seeds or pits. The seeds from persimmons will lead to issues in your dog’s small intestine. They can also block the intestines entirely! This is also possible if your dog gets ahold of the pit for a peach or a plum. Peach and plum pits also contain cyanide in them, which is poisonous to both people and dogs alike. While you know not to eat them, your canine friend does not!

Raw Eggs

We know some people believe that feeding their dog a raw diet is the way to go, even one with uncooked eggs. However, the majority of veterinary medical associations advise against that. While there is nothing wrong with eggs themselves, the issue comes when eggs have been contaminated in some way. There are increased chances of your dog getting food poisoning from bacteria, such as Salmonella or E. coli.

Raw Meat and Fish

Just like raw eggs, raw meats can contain bacteria that can lead to food poisoning. Even fish, such as salmon, trout, shad, or sturgeon can contain a parasite that leads to “fish disease,” also known as “salmon poisoning disease.” It can be treated, but it’s important to get help immediately for your dog. The first symptoms are vomiting, fever, and enlarged lymph nodes. If you want to feed your dog fish, be sure to cook it first to kill the parasite!

Salt

It is never a good idea to share super salty foods with your dog. Eating too much salt will make your dog thirsty, which means they may end up with sodium ion poisoning. If your dog has consumed a large amount of salt, they might experience vomiting, tremors, diarrhea, depression, high temperatures, and seizures. It can even lead to death, so please seek immediate medical attention.

Sugary Food and Drinks

Just as you can get obese and develop diabetes from too much sugar, the same can happen to your dog! It can also harm their teeth, which can lead to further health complications. Skip sharing the cake and treats with your canine friends!

Your Charlotte Dog Care Professionals

If you are looking for veterinarians to provide the best in care for you and your dog, it’s time to contact West Ballantyne Animal Hospital! We can help when your pup consumes something he or she shouldn’t. Call us today to learn more about our services.