Canine Preventative Care and Dog Vaccines
The Value of Canine Wellness Exams
Active preventive care will help your dog stay healthy for a long lifetime of family fun. Preventive care plays a vital role in prevention and early illness detection. Establishing a baseline of health early on allows us to measure changes in your dog over time, enabling us to detect the onset of diseases sooner when treatments are most effective.
Our comprehensive Preventive Care Exam for dogs includes:
- Physical Exams & Vaccinations: Our canine exams include a thorough physical examination that includes an evaluation of your dog’s coat, skin, eyes, ears, nose, throat, and internal organ systems. At our hospital, your dog will also receive an individualized vaccination plan that caters to his or her needs based on age, breed, physical condition, and lifestyle.
- Dental Exams: During the exam, we will perform a thorough oral examination. The veterinarian will look at the mouth and teeth to ensure health and look for any abnormalities including fractured or missing teeth, tartar, gum health, periodontal disease, ulcers and masses. For more information about the dental care provided by our veterinarian, please visit our dental care page.
- Heartworm Disease Testing, Prevention, & Treatment: Heartworm disease is spread by mosquitos and can lead to congestive heart failure if not prevented or diagnosed early enough. We perform yearly blood screens for early heartworm detection and treatment as well as many safe options for continual heartworm disease prevention.
- Parasite Prevention & Control: Our veterinarian will conduct a fecal exam each year to check for the presence of harmful intestinal parasites. Intestinal parasites are spread between dogs and cats – and some can even be spread to people as well! In addition to treating and preventing internal parasites – we have everything you need to prevent those pesky critters that attach to your dog’s skin like fleas and ticks too.
- Nutrition & Weight Management for Your Dog: Cultivating a balanced diet and nutrition plan is also an important part of preventive care for your dog. During a wellness exam, we will monitor your dog’s weight so we can recommend any necessary modifications in their diet or exercise. Learn more about our nutritional counseling services.
Your dog’s annual exam at West Ballantyne Animal Hospital is also the perfect opportunity to speak with Dr. Linfante about any concerns you may have about your dog’s health. We will discuss topics such as dog vaccines, dental care, nutrition, exercise, and lifestyle or age related changes. Visit our puppy care and senior pet care pages to learn more about preventive care for your dog at every stage of life.